Important Information for Freshman
All incoming freshmen and students new to Mt. Vernon High School are invited to attend the Freshman Kick-off and Orientation on Friday, July 28, 2023. Click on the event link for more details, and register to attend HERE!
- Visit the Counseling Department Website to see college and career planning opportunities.
- Be involved and develop your interests. Colleges are looking for students who are
active and involved in their school and community. Participate in school activities, and if you have a specific interest, talent, or passion, take time this year to develop it.
- Become familiar with Skyward by logging in often to view your grades.
- Work hard in your classes. To be ready for college, and to have an impressive high
school record, work hard to get good grades in all of your classes. Now that you’re a freshman, everything “counts.” Your freshman grades will be used to calculate your grade point average- and all of your freshman courses, grades, and credits will be on your transcript (an official copy of your high school record.)
- Think about what’s important to you, and about what you want to study. Do you want to go to a 2-year or a 4-year college? A college close to home? A college with a specific major? To explore your college options, visit bigfutre.collegeboard.org. In college, you will choose one subject to study in depth. This will be your major. Start thinking about your interests, talents, and abilities in terms of possible majors.
- Make a four-year high school plan with your counselor in order to be prepared for college-level work, colleges recommend that students take the following courses in high school:
- Get support. Talk to your family and your counselor.
- Seek out summer opportunities that allow you to explore your next steps and career goals.